USFL '86: The Season That Never Was

Saturday, August 22, 2020

'86 Chronology-Lost

Event Date: March 26th, 1986

Event Description: Jackson Remains Undecided

Source: UPI

Auburn's Bo Jackson, still weighing offers from football's Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Birmingham Stallions and baseball's Kansas City Royals, admitted Tuesday he was still “lost” in deciding which sport to play.

“To make a long story short, I'm lost,” said Jackson, the top pick in the NFL draft and a fourth-round selection in baseball's amateur draft.

“I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm just taking it one day at a time.”

Jackson, who won the Heisman Trophy after rushing for 1,786 yards last football season, said he would make a decision about his future soon, possibly this week. He gave no specific date.

“If I could work it out in some way, I would play both baseball and football,” Jackson said. “I would love to, but I don't think that's possible.”

Buccaneers owner Hugh Culverhouse promised to make Jackson the highest paid rookie in NFL history at the football draft and repeated his claim after Jackson was chosen by the Royals in the baseball draft.

Jackson said his late selection in the baseball draft would not affect his decision.

'I'd rather be drafted in the fourth round by the world champions than in the first round by somebody else,' he said.

Jackson also reiterated that he was leaving all his options open, including finishing the USFL season with Birmingham, and that he would make the decision on his own.

“When all this is over with, I don't want anybody saying “Bo didn't give us a chance,'' Jackson said. “If I listened to everybody's feelings about what I should do, I would be a very sick person now.”

Story-(UPI Modified)

No comments: