USFL '86: The Season That Never Was

Monday, January 29, 2018

'83 Chronology-Gut Buster

Event Date: April 5th, 1983

Event Description: Allen Not Backing Down

Source: United Press International

Chicago Blitz Coach George Allen has refused to back down from comments about possible U.S. Football League expansion that drew criticism from league commissioner Chet Simmons.

Simmons criticized Allen Monday for making comments that were critical of the league's attempts to expand. “I don't know where a Chet Simmons gets off making statements like that,” Allen said. “No one has given more time to this league than George Allen at the expense of my team. When I hear a statement like Simmons', it really busts my gut.”

Allen again said expanding after one season was not a good idea. “As far as expansion, I was speaking from a football sense,” he said. “Economically, I guess it makes sense to expand right away. Football-wise, I don't want my team broken up after one season.”

USFL owners will meet Thursday in Chicago to review the league's progress and discuss expansion. However, Allen said he would not be at the USFL meeting.

No comments: