USFL '86: The Season That Never Was

Thursday, February 22, 2018

'83 Chronology-Surprise Package

Event Date: April 26th, 1983

Event Description: Jets Draft Quarterback

Source: United Press International

California-Davis quarterback Ken O'Brien is probably the most surprised football player in America today.

The 6-foot-4, 215-pounder, who threw for 6,563 yards for the Division II school, was selected by the New York Jets in today's NFL draft as the No. 24 overall pick

“When the Jets called me this morning I had just woken up and I was sort of in a state of shock,” said O'Brien, the fifth of a record six quarterbacks taken in the draft's opening round. “I'm really thrilled to be going to a contender. It's the best situation that could have happened to me.”

New York's director of player personnel Mike Hickey scouted him and according to O'Brien, the Jets' top talent evaluator was impressed.

“Hickey told me that (new coach Joe) Walton would be happy to have me if the chance came to draft me,” said O'Brien. “I talked to Walton and he told me we'd be spending a lot of time together.”

The Oakland Invaders of the USFL also own the rights to O'Brien, but the quarterback said he hadn't talked to them in over a month. 

However, O'Brien's lawyer, Lee Steinberg, who also represents Illinois' Tony Eason, said he was keeping his client's options open. “The Invaders and the British Columbia Lions of the CFL also have the rights to Ken,” said Steinberg. “Obviously, he'd rather play in the NFL, but we'll talk with all three teams.”

No comments: