USFL '86: The Season That Never Was

Friday, February 23, 2018

'83 Chronology-Federal Case

Event Date: April 28th, 1983

Event Description: Brock Wants Out

Source: United Press International 

Dieter Brock, twice selected the CFL's outstanding player, said Thursday he would strongly consider playing football for the Washington Federals of the USFL, but his Canadian bosses were in no mood to let him go.

Brock has informed his CFL club, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, he plans to retire unless the club agrees to tear up his $1.1 million, five-year contract so he can finish his career with a team in his native United States.

The nine-year CFL veteran, who has set a flock of league passing records, said a move to Washington was a promising prospect since it would reunite him with Ray Jauch, his coach at Winnipeg through the end of last season. He has also expressed interest in the Stallions of his native Birmingham.

Brock conceded he might be forced to remain in Winnipeg, but warned the Bombers to consider the prospect of being led by a quarterback who simply does not want to play in Canada anymore.

“I've thought about that and they could, if they want, force me to come back to Winnipeg if I want to continue playing football,” he said. “I hope it doesn't come down to that. It wouldn't be fair to the fans, to the club or to me.”

“I wouldn't say it's the most viable, but the interest is there ... with coach Jauch being there and, as I have been saying throughout, if I can work out something with the Winnipeg football club,” said Brock from his home in Birmingham. I'm interested in going to a club that has some interest in me. I definitely would look into them (the Federals) very close, but I wouldn't make a commitment to the Federals or any team at this point.”

No comments: