USFL '86: The Season That Never Was

Thursday, January 31, 2019

'84 Chronology-Heisman Hopeful

Event Date: June 23rd, 1984

Event Description: Griffin Seeks Pact

Source: UPI

Former Cincinnati Bengals running back Archie Griffin is a man without a team, but he's not ready to hang up the cleats just yet.

Griffin, 29, who won the Heisman Trophy twice while at Ohio State, says he's contacted a number of NFL clubs to see if they are interested in him for the 1984 season.

“In the next week, I should find out something. I'm pretty confident,” he said.

After seven years with Cincinnati, the Bengals released Griffin last December after he missed the entire 1983 season because of an abdominal muscle pull and a groin injury.

Griffin, who had a dazzling collegiate career, never lived up to expectations as a pro. In seven years with Cincinnati, he rushed for 2,808 yards, with an average gain of 4.1 yards per carry. He caught 192 passes for 1,607 yards and got 15 touchdowns.

My career has not been a disappointment,” Griffin said. “In Cincinnati, I just didn't get enough opportunities. But I did feel good about what I did with the opportunities I had. They didn't think I could catch the ball when I came, and I proved I could do that.”

Last April, Griffin turned down a chance to play with the Jacksonville Bulls of the USFL.

What he wanted was way out of line with reality,” said Nick Kish, the team's director of operations. He also said he contacted all the other USFL teams about Griffin, but none indicated any interest in him. I don't think he's going to find any NFL teams beating down his door, either,” Kish added.

Griffin said he would like to play at least a couple of seasons, but accepts the possibility that he might not get the chance.

It's been a long time. I started playing when I was nine years old,” he said. “I haven't accepted that my career is over. But if I don't play, I'll make that adjustment and just continue to work. I've got a business career, so I'll always have something to do.”

No comments: