USFL '86: The Season That Never Was

Thursday, June 14, 2018

'83 Chronology-Under Pressure

Event Date: October 24th, 1983

Event Description: Shula Ends Speculation

Source: United Press International

Miami Dolphins Coach Don Shula said Monday he was “no longer interested” in a $1 million-a-year offer from the New Jersey Generals of the fledgling United States Football League.

Shula said pressure last week and Sunday was interfering with his preparation of the Dolphins in the last few weeks.

“When the third question in my press conference after the game Sunday is about my contract and not about the football team, then it's time to draw the line,” Shula said.

Shula had confirmed recently that Generals owner Donald Trump had offered him $1 million a year to coach the USFL club. Shula's contract with the Dolphins is reportedly $450,000 a year and it expires Feb. 28, 1984.

Shula said he has talked with Miami owner Joe Robbie, but no date has been set for negotiations.

Shula also expressed reservations about going directly from coaching the Dolphins this season to coaching the Generals in February.

“I don't know if my 53-year-old body and mind can handle that,” he said.

In a prepared release, the Generals announced that all negotiations had been terminated.

Shula said he had told Robbie of his decision and expected to meet with him in the near future.

“I said from the beginning I was interested in giving Joe Robbie and the Dolphins every opportunity to work something out,” he said. “So far nothing has been resolved. In the event that it isn't, I'll wait until the end of the year I'll review all my options.”

No comments: