USFL '86: The Season That Never Was

Sunday, June 17, 2018

'83 Chronology-Rooting Them On

Event Date: November 2nd, 1983

Event Description: Invaders Sign Pair

Source: United Press International

The Oakland Invaders, hoping to improve their passing game, signed free agent wide receivers Holden Smith and Ron Smith Wednesday.

Holden Smith was a star at the University of California and later was drafted by the Baltimore Colts, while Ron Smith played his collegiate ball at San Diego State and spent five years in the NFL with the Los Angeles Rams, San Diego Chargers and Philadelphia Eagles.

Terms of their contracts were not announced but coach-general manager John Ralston said he was delighted to land the two.

"Signing Ron and Holden will help us tremendously in 1984,” said Ralston. 

“Combining these two with Raymond Chester, the best tight end in the USFL, and with Fred Besana, our quarterback, I believe our passing game will be outstanding.”

Holden Smith gained notoriety of sorts last year when after being cut by the Colts, he poured a container of root beer on coach Frank Kush's head.

“He accused me of not trying hard when I was injured,” Smith recalled, “so I filled the biggest container I could find with root beer and poured it on him. I did it for my teammates. Everyone wants to pour something on him or hit him."

No comments: