USFL '86: The Season That Never Was

Wednesday, March 7, 2018

'83 Chronology-Trio of Offers

Event Date: May 10th, 1983

Event Description: Eason to CFL?

Source: United Press International

University of Illinois quarterback Tony Eason said Tuesday a contract offer by the Montreal Concordes might make him reconsider a lifetime dream of playing in the NFL.

Eason, the first-round choice (15th overall) of the New England Patriots in the recent NFL draft, said his visit with agent Leigh Steinberg to Montreal this week had opened his eyes to another city and another league -- the Canadian Football League.

“Before I came to Montreal, I had my eyes set on the NFL, basically because I'm from the United States and all the heroes I grew up with were in that league,” said Eason, who will likely talk to two U.S. Football League clubs before signing a contract. “As I feel now, I don't think it would be a bad choice to come here.”

“I have to evaluate three different offers,” said Eason, a native of Walnut Grove, Califonia, near Sacramento. “I'm very impressed with coach (Joe) Galat and the front office people and the facilities here are great. But right now, I'd be crazy if I didn't explore all the offers.”

University of Miami quarterback Jim Kelly, drafted 14th overall by the Buffalo Bills, has also visited the Concordes with his agent. “I think Eason's a little closer to our system of play,” Galat said. “His talents seem to be CFL-oriented. His mobility would be the factor that would separate the two.”

Photo-(Pinterest)

No comments: