USFL '86: The Season That Never Was

Sunday, August 20, 2017

'82 Chronology-Politely Declined

Event Date: July 17th, 1982

Event Description: Stallings Stays Put

Source: Associated Press

Gene Stallings, saying that he had a commitment with the Dallas Cowboys, today turned down the head coaching job with the Birmingham Stallions of the new United States Football League.

Stallings, the defensive backfield coach for the Cowboys, met last week in Cincinnati with the owner of the Stallions, Marvin Warner. ''After carefully considering the opportunity, I have asked them to withdraw my name from consideration,'' Stallings said. ''The decision was based on the fact that I am under contract with the Dallas Cowboys, and feel I should honor my commitment.''


Stallings said that he would have enjoyed being a head coach, but that the timing ''was just not right.''

(Story Associated Press)

No comments: