USFL '86: The Season That Never Was

Saturday, August 12, 2017

'82 Chronology-Feeling It

Event Date: June 20th, 1982

Event Description: New League Contacts Allen

Source: New York Times

George Allen, the former head coach of the Los Angeles Rams and the Washington Redskins in the National Football League, yesterday said from his home in Palos Verdes, Calif., that he had received ''feelers'' from three teams in the newly formed United States Football League.

Allen declined to identify the teams, because he said the approaches had been made on a confidential basis. Newspaper reports have indicated that two of the teams may be the Chicago and Los Angeles franchises.

The league is scheduled to begin play next March.

Allen repeated the position he has stated in recent years: ''If I join any team as coach or general manager, I would have to have some liquidity in the ownership.''

He said he believed the new league would have a good chance of success, ''especially since they have that contract with ABC television.''

''I believe the American public will support additional football, if it's run properly,'' he said. ''I think I could put together a competitive team in this new league. I may have some announcement about my plans in a week or so.''

(Story property NYT)

No comments: