USFL '86: The Season That Never Was

Saturday, December 29, 2018

'84 Chronology-Flight of Fancy

Event Date: May 18th, 1984

Event Description:  Carmichael Cut

Source: United Press International

Harold Carmichael says he plans to continue playing and was "not ruling out" a move to the U.S. Football League after he was waived by the Philadelphia Eagles.

The Eagles announced Friday they were waiving Carmichael, a 13-year veteran of the club and the team's leading all-time receiver.

"I feel that I can make a winning contribution to a football team, and I have decided to continue to play professional football," he said.

The 6-foot-8 Carmichael said he would like to stay in the NFL but would consider offers from the USFL.

"We're not ruling out the USFL, but I'd like to play in the NFL. I have a mission. I need 60 or so catches to break some records and that's something to shoot for," Carmichael said.

Philadelphia coach Marion Campbell praised Carmichael's performance, particularly during the team's playoff years, but said the 34-year-old veteran no longer fit into the team's plans.

"Harold has been one of the finest receivers in NFL history in his 13 years with the Eagles," Campbell said. "However, we are heading in a new direction with our new receivers."

"I don't have any bad feelings. I'm disappointed in a way but life goes on. I remember when I came in that they had to cut somebody to make room for me," Carmichael said.

"Most of all, I would like to thank the fans of Philadelphia, who are the greatest and most knowledgeable in the world, and who have supported me and the Eagles through good times and bad," he said.

The Eagles had sought a trade for Carmichael, Campbell said, but no other NFL team was interested.


No comments: