USFL '86: The Season That Never Was

Friday, February 14, 2020

'85 Chronology-Welcome Wagon

Event Date: July 28th, 1985

Event Description: Hebert Visits Saints

Source: UPI

With most news from NFL training camps these days concerning holdouts and injuries, the New Orleans Saints received a welcome visitor Saturday.

Free-agent quarterback Bobby Hebert, who led the Michigan Panthers to a second-place finish in the USFL, visited the Saints training camp at Ruston, La. and talked for an hour with Coach Bum Phillips.

Veteran quarterback Richard Todd is among six non-reporting players in the Saints' camp, leaving Dave Wilson as the current leading candidate to start when the 1985 season opens.

“I wasn't there to talk about a contract or to sign with them,” the former Northwestern Louisiana star said. “I just wanted to meet Coach Phillips and see how their camp was coming along. As far as my future, I'm leaving all of that up to my agent.”

Hebert's agent, Greg Campbell, has said the Saints, Los Angeles Raiders and Seattle Seahawks are interested in signing the south Louisiana native.

Saints officials said talks have been held with Hebert and his agent.
“New Orleans would be a good place to be because I'm from the area, their training camp is near my home in Natchitoches and I'd be playing in front of Louisiana fans,” Hebert said.

The Saints were set to sign Robbie Mahfouz of the USFL's Jacksonville Bulls Friday night but Phillips said, “there still remains some paperwork between the two leagues before anything can be completed. We're still working on it.”


No comments: