USFL '86: The Season That Never Was

Saturday, July 28, 2018

'84 Chronology-Backup Role

Event Date: January 25th, 1984

Event Description:  Whitehurst Returns

Source: United Press International

David Whitehurst has decided a backup quarterback role at a higher salary with the Green Bay Packers is more attractive than jumping to the U.S. Football League.

The Packers announced Tuesday that Whitehurst, 28, had agreed to a new two-year contract.

'The contract has been mailed and I suspect the whole thing will be wrapped up sometime about the middle of next week,' said Bob Harlan, assistant to the president of the Packers.

Whitehurst, who had been making $150,000 a year to play behind starting Green Bay quarterback Lynn Dickey, confirmed he had been thinking of signing with the USFL.

“At one point, yes, I was considering it,” the seven-year veteran said. “But toward the end of the season, I wasn't. Sentimentally, my heart is with the Packers. That's where I wanted to be. At this stage in my career, I wanted to stay in the NFL.”

Story-(UPI)

No comments: