USFL '86: The Season That Never Was

Tuesday, December 26, 2017

'83 Chronology-Allen on Walker

Event Date: March 2nd, 1983

Event Description: Allen Interview

Source: Chicago Tribune

The signing of Herschel Walker to a USFL contract does not signal a trend of all-out raids on college underclassmen, Chicago Blitz coach George Allen says. Allen, in an interview with the Chicago Tribune, said he supports the NFL rule that prohibits clubs from drafting college players until their original class has graduated.

“Anybody can be a hardship case if the price is right,” Allen said. “I think that's kind of a flimsy way of saying this guy is a hardship case.”

Allen, a minority owner of the USFL Blitz, said he didn't know whether his club made an offer to Walker in December and said he'd rather have his own No. 1 draft choice, Ohio State running back Tim Spencer than Walker.

“I have a high regard for Herschel. He is unique in that he could have won the Heisman Trophy as a freshman,” Allen told the Tribune at Blitz camp in Phoenix. “But I'd just as soon have Tim Spencer. He has the character I want on this team.”

Walker, a former University of Georgia running back, Wednesday signed a three-year contract reported to be worth $8.9 million with the New Jersey Generals. He had a year of eligibility remaining.

“I told our owners that I wasn't intrested in Walker,” Allen said. “They asked my opinion and I told them he is a great player but I wasn't interested in all the ramifications that could result fom his coming in here. I told them to forget it. Whether they did or not, I don't know.” Allen told the Chicago Sun-Times he was happy to see Walker in the league. “It's good for the league,” he said.

Story-(UPI/Chicago Tribune)

No comments: