USFL '86: The Season That Never Was

Saturday, October 14, 2017

'82 Chronology-Elvis!

Event Date: November 12th, 1982

Event Description: Ex-Sooner Signs

Source: NewsOK

Former Oklahoma Sooner running back Elvis Peacock has signed a contract to play for the Arizona Wranglers in the United States Football League, club officials said Friday.

Terms of the pact were not announced, although Peacock was believed to have signed a multi-year deal with several options including a $40,000 loan from the team to buy a home in Norman, Okla.

Peacock was the Los Angeles Rams' first-round choice in the 1978 NFL draft. His pro career was cut short because of ligament damage to both knees, however. 

Peacock, who turned 26 last Sunday, has been on an extensive rehabilitation program at the University of Oklahoma, where he has also been completing studies for a degree. "My knees are fine," Peacock said in a recent telephone interview. "The doctors have OK'd them. I'm looking forward to playing again. The only thing I need to do is get myself in shape."

The 6-1 Peacock said he weighs "around 232" pounds and plans to pare down to 215 or 218 by training camp time. Peacock said the USFL "is a door that's open to me and I'm hoping it'll stay open. After all my injuries, though, it's like starting from the bottom floor again."

The Arizona franchise has yet to name a head coach, but Peacock said: "I'll feel relaxed there whoever the coach is. I'm looking forward to joining them. They're expecting to be a balanced football team."


In another USFL signing involving another former Sooner, linebacker Orlando Flanagan has joined the New Jersey Generals.

Story-(Oklahoman)
Photo-(Pinterest)

No comments: