USFL '86: The Season That Never Was

Wednesday, February 13, 2019

'84 Chronology-Golden Opportunity

Event Date: July 2nd, 1984

Event Description: Spedding Plan

Source: United Press International

Doug Spedding, owner of the USFL's  Denver Gold, said he has mapped out a three-year plan that he hopes will take his team to greatness.

“The plan covers everything from coaching and acquiring playing talent to marketing and promotions,” said the hard-nosed auto dealer who bought the Gold in mid-April.

Spedding, who concluded the disappointing season by dumping former NFL quarterback Craig Morton as the team's head coach, said he was optimistic about making his team a powerhouse.

"The target is to put a super-strong club together within three years,” he said. “I say three years because I'm new at this football business and I expect that we'll screw it up a little our first two years.”

The first step in the plan to get the Gold into USFL title contention begins with coaching, Spedding admits.

“It's going to take a little time to get the right man, but we'll get him,” Spedding said. “It could come about three ways. I want a strong coach who has a proven track record of success and a willingness to give the time and effort to the job that it will take, and he well might surface in due time.

On the other hand, I may find that the man I zero in on will want to be both the coach and general manager, and that's all right with me, although I'd planned on handling a lot of the GM duties myself.

A third possibility is that I'll come up with a super general manager and let him put the coaching together, but that's not likely at the moment.”

Spedding has mentioned several names as potential coaches for the job, but has made no final decision. 

Among potential candidates Spedding has named have been former Philadelphia Eagles' coach Dick Vermeil, who said he has not been contacted and is not interested, Bud Grant and Hank Stram.

Leeman Bennett, who last coached the Atlanta Falcons until the 1982 season, also has been mentioned as a possible candidate, but said no one has contacted him at his home in Cummings, Ga.


“I have no knowledge about Doug Spedding or the Denver Gold,” Bennett said. “I would listen to what the man had to say.”

Story-(UPI)

No comments: